The U.S. is a country of 50 states covering a vast swath of North America, wide ranges of people visit the United Kingdom every year under different purposes as for sightseeing, studying, or even working.
For most people around the world, wanting to go to the US means that they need a visa. The reasons for wanting to go differ from just visits for tourism or business, working, studying, or permanently moving there.
The country attracts a wide range of people who have various goals and want to achieve “the American dream”. However, there are many barriers and one of them is getting a visa.
How to Apply for US Visa Application
To apply for a US visa you will follow a straightforward application procedure. The US visa application is done at a US Consulate or Embassy in your country of residence following these simple steps:
Check if you need a visa
Citizens of 39 visa waiver countries do not need to apply for a visa to USA. To find out if you need to apply for a US visa, you can use this tool:
Choose the visa type
The second step of the US visa application is to choose the type of US visa that you want to get. Since there are differences depending on the type of US visa you want to get, you should pay extra attention to choosing the right type of visa to apply for.
Fill in Application Form DS-160
Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application is the US visa application form that you must fill out if you are applying for a US nonimmigrant visa. The form can be found online on the website of the US consulate from which you are applying.
You can fill the DS-160 form online through:
- the Consular Electronic Application Center, or
- by using the services of a third party company such as TravelAssist.
Why do we advise to apply through TravelAssist?
- TravelAssist’s staff will fill in the form DS-160 to book your US visa appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate.
- They will provide you with a complete list of required documents for your US Visa application and will check your prepared application file to make sure your application has the highest possible prospect of success.
- The staff of TravelAssist will offer 24/7 online support regarding your US visa application.
- If your US visa application is successful TravelAssist will get you your visa quickly.
- In the event of denied entry to the US, they offer Travel Protection that will cover your financial expenses.
- TravelAssist is a specialized company in processing US visa applications and has helped over 65,000 people enter the United States. They provide end-to-end visa assistance to help you successfully enter the United States
What does the form DS-160 contain?
The application form DS-160 consists of two parts. The first part contains questions about personal information as:
Full name, Marital Status, Nationality, Date & Place of Birth, Address, Country, Mobile number, Email, Passport number, Passport book number, Family information, Education, Work, etc.
The second part of the online application form consists of questions on security and background information as:
- if you have ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime.
- If you have ever engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances.
- if you have ever been involved in money laundering.
- if you ever ordered, incited, committed, assisted, or otherwise participated in genocide, etc.
Pay your US visa application fee
The next step of the US visa application is paying the US visa application fees.
The Machine Readable Visa Fee for visa applicants depends on the type of visa one applies for. The schedule is tiered as follows:
- MRV Fee – $160
- Petition Based Applicants (H, L, O, P, Q, R) – $190
- E-1, E-2 & E-3 visa applicants – $205
Keep in mind that the visa fee is non-refundable if you decide to cancel your appointment or if your visa application is rejected.
In addition to US visa application fees, you could also be asked to pay US visa issuance fees. Visa issuance fees are determined by the relationship that the US has with your home country. This means that some applicants will have to pay them and some will not. Their amount varies from country to country.
To be able to proceed with your application, you must pay all the necessary fees and retain the receipts for proof.
Schedule US visa interview
All US nonimmigrant visa applicants between 14 and 79 years old are required to go through a US visa interview.
To have this mandatory interview, you must schedule an appointment with the US consulate or embassy from which you are applying.
Since they might have a high workload and the wait time can range from days to weeks, you must make sure to schedule your interview as early as possible.
The moment that you submit your Form DS-160, you should make an appointment for your interview. You will then get an interview confirmation letter which you must bring on the day of the interview.
Compile the document file
In addition to your application form or Form DS-160, you must also submit documents required for USA visa application which prove to the US consulate that you meet the requirement for the nonimmigrant visa you are applying.
Attend the visa interview
The final step in the US visa application process is the US visa interview. You must appear on time at the interview with all your supporting documents.
The official who will interview you will ask questions about your background and other relevant details based on the visa you have applied for. If you are going to the US to work, then the interview might be longer than if you were going only for a visit.
Wait for processing
After the visa interview, you must wait for your application to be processed. Processing times depend on the type of US visa you applied for, but they can range from a few days to a few months.
When your visa is processed, you will find out whether you were approved or denied. You should only make travel arrangements after your visa is approved and not run the risk of making expenses in case it is denied.
US Visa Requirements
Here are the required documents for a US visa:
1. An online nonimmigrant DS-160 application form. You can file the form DS-160 here.
2. Your valid passport. It must be valid for at least six months beyond your planned stay in the United States. However, there are some countries that are exempt from this requirement only needing a passport that is valid during their period of stay in the United States. Your passport must have at least one blank page to be able to affix visa.
3. One photograph. The US visa photo requirement is one of the main requirements for every visa you apply for. Upload the photo while you apply online through the DS-160 form. If the upload fails, you can submit the photo on the appointment day. However, we advise you that, even if you upload the photo online, to still bring it with you in case you need it during the interview.
4. Receipt proving payment of $160 for a nonimmigrant US visa application. Differently from the European visa policy where you pay the fee at on the appointment day, for a US visa you need to pay the fee in order to be able to schedule an interview. Keep in mind that the US visa fee is non-refundable if you decide to cancel your appointment or if your visa application is rejected.
5. Social media details. A list of the social media that you use, and the name of your account in each, phone number, email and social media history of the five previous years.
Therefore, feel free to make your comment and contribution if you find any difficulty while on How to Apply for US Visa and we shall get back to you immediately. Meanwhile, you can also share page links on your social media accounts so that others can also know about it. Thanks.